Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sewing Swiftly

Just minutes after I posted on Wednesday the doorbell rang, and my safety pins arrived! I've been working on the Sea Marquee quilt, but am not yet satisfied with the results. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I've been working on a smaller quilt with the scraps from my mom's snowball quilt. It's a simple four-patch with the yellow polka dot that was her binding (thanks to Britt!) playing a central role. I hope to start quilting that tomorrow!

My cousin posted today about her love for antique shops, yard sales, and auctions. She's not alone in this addiction (but she's good company!). It's a rainy day here today, so a friend and I went off to explore the Red Cross shop and an antique shop. My greatest find was a slightly rickety, but fully functional, swift. I've already wound up a skein of Peace Fleece (in Baltic Blue) to test it out. (My friend found a second swift, as well!) I also found some dishes... Always my weakness, but the prices were too good to pass up! The green plates are Swedish - they'd look great with a little Asian-inspired side dish, wouldn't they? The 70s mustard plates are fondue themed, and the two blue Rörstrand Christmas plates match one I already have. The final purchases were some postcard-sized souvenir plastic trays from Bergen, Norway. They're always great to use for pins, buttons, etc. while working on projects! The cars and clothes in the photos on the trays make them look pretty retro!

3 comments:

floribunda said...

the yarn swift was a great find! and here's a link to some hedgehogs for you (not sure if you know about this site, but they have hedgehogs often!)
http://dailysquee.com/2010/07/31/cute-baby-animals-hedgehog-tiny/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DailySquee+%28Daily+Squee%29

Along the Ausable said...

Good find on the swift! I love those vintage yellow plates too. ;)

Karhu said...

You were pretty quick with the swift, i have to say!