Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Harvest

Since I was in Finland most of the summer this year, I planted some tomatoes on my balcony. Slowly, but surely, they're ripening. Unfortunately, there's no room for cucumber plants, but I did buy some and gave pickle-making a try for the first time. I tried two different recipes for Claussen-like pickles (they are one thing I really miss here) and tried an Estonian friend's mom's recipe, too. In a month or two I'm going to have a little pickle party to see how my experiments turned out!

I'll have some quilt content tomorrow, especially if the weather cooperates for an outdoor photo!

3 comments:

Andrea, the little collector said...

Hope your pickles are a smashing success....sans any actual smashing of course.

Tanya said...

I wish I'd get up the gumption to make some dill pickles. I've got the cucumbers but they only get turned into regular Japanese pickles which are a bit salty for my tastes. I wish I could join your pickle tasting party too!

Kate North said...

I'd love to know if they do turn out like Claussen dill pickles, which I also miss (once in a while I can find Vlassic in import shops, but not the Claussen kind, which I like the best) - if they are successful, that's a recipe I'll be needing!