Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Warning: Quilt Content!

I know, it's shocking that this quilt blog will include some quilt content after all the knitting of late!

I bought this top a few summers ago at an antique place in Winthrop, Maine for about $15. The fabrics seem to range from the 50s to the 60s or maybe even 40s-70s. (Please comment if you have any info about this.) It's in pretty good shape, just a few damaged blocks around the edges. I was thinking of hand-quilting it with perl cotton this winter - any suggestions?

I also received this cute little mini in the mail from Susan (aka Chickenfoot) of the 6"-12'' mini swap, since I haven't received my June quiltlet yet. Thanks so much!

I hope to make my two September minis this weekend - maybe these goodies I received in a care package from my aunt in Florida will be the inspiration. Look at all those beautiful buttons!

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

Lovely quilt and you aunt's care package is wonderful...especially the buttons.

I am no expert but am wondering if perle cotton would be too thick or strong for an aged fabric....but I have nothing to base that on but instinct...which is probably wrong!

dutchcomfort said...

What a lovely quilt-top for $ 15,-!
I love the fabrics, but have no clue about the decade they come from.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow what a wonderful aunt. That is a great care package!

Unknown said...

Yes the buttons are beautiful and also the other goodies she sent you. Thank you for warning us that this post would contain quilty matters.

Clare said...

Great goodies package. I think perle would be too heavy for it. I suppose you could use 3 strand embrodiery floss, but that may still be too heavy.

Käranån said...

Vilka härliga färger i quilten!! Jag tar med boken på söndag.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Those ARE lovely buttons! My School Boy just adores buttons and picks out fancy ones for his PJ's - he would approve of these!
Cheers!
Evelyn