Sunday, January 20, 2008

Belated Gifts

In my last post I said I wouldn't have much time for stitching in the next month or so, but I have a backlog of a few little homemade birthday gifts and swap items, so I did manage to steal a little time in the sewing room today. Six friends in Vaasa and I have been celebrating our belated holidays birthdays - two gifts down, four to go!

I saw this apron idea on a quilt blog last year (I can't seem to find the link, but I know I have it saved somewhere, so I'll add it later because I know I'm going to make a few more of these this year!) The apron is reversible and about 27" square. (Please excuse the unvacuumed floor in the background!)
Below is a microwavable heating pad filled with rice (2kg!) and lavender made with IKEA fabric a friend gave me last summer. I rarely miss having a microwave - just at Thanksgiving, when I have a craving for microwave popcorn, and when I'm in need of a rice-filled wool sock for a sore muscle!

15 comments:

Libby said...

That's a great little apron . . .I really like the fabrics you've chosen.

Joyce said...

Your fabrics co-ordinate very nicely. I made one of those last year in oranges.

Unknown said...

The apron will make a great gift.

Donna said...

those rice bags make great hot pads for hiding in a bed on a cold winter night for feet to curl up against too :-)

Lucy said...

Love the Apron!

Jana Nielson said...

That is a great apron, and the pattern looks so simple! Thanks!

Clare said...

What a pity the rice pack isn't fabric. It would make a great background for wonky houses!

Have a good week.

Lucy said...

I love that apron. I have seen it somewhere but don't remember where. Would love to see the link.

Deborah Levy said...

You've been busy and the projects look great.

Anonymous said...

I love the apron, too! The colours also co-ordinate perfectly with the colours in my kitchen...:)

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Keep on seeking that apron link, will you please? It's adorable!

n, np

soñador said...

Dear Hedgehog:
I am an English teacher at Oaxaca, Mexico, and my wife, a French woman, works teaching some poor women in my city to sew and make some things to sell and get a little money for their children, and start dreaming about having a better living. Your blog is so full of love and inspiration...I love it! I'll show it to her! She´s in France right now, because my mother in law passed away.
Please keep doing that marvelous work. LOve:

Álvaro

julieQ said...

Love your apron!! I remember my mom going into the kitchen, and the first thing she would do is put on her apron. Pretty fabric in yours.

Lily Mulholland said...

The apron is lovely - maybe I saw something similar on Joyce's (in Canada) blog?

And 2kg of rice! I hope you weren't posting that gift LOL

Nettie said...

Hey, I made a little dress out of that olive Ikea fabric, (predicting that big prints were going to be in...still waiting :-)

I like that apron pattern! wanna try it.