Sunday, October 28, 2007

Christmas in October?!

Busy weekend here in Vaasa! Before I get to Christmas, Happy Halloween! I had a little pumpkin carving party this evening. Freshly roasted pumpkin seeds are so good!

A friend was here from Helsinki for the weekend in order to learn how to quilt! Here she is with her very first project - a gift for friends' one-year-old.

Now onto Christmas in October. I started to work on a few Christmas projects this past week and I couldn't wait to give this little bag (6"x4"x10") to a friend here, so we celebrated Christmas in October! I found this great zipper at the Marimekko outlet in June.

I know my brother doesn't read my blog, so it's safe to post a photo of some progress on his gift here, too. I started these blocks in the summer of 2005 and am determined to finish before Christmas this year. I made my very first quilt for him 20 years ago this month. I hope he doesn't have to wait another 20 years for his next quilt!

18 comments:

Donna said...

those bear paws are wonderfully scrappy :-)

Kate North said...

Nice pumpkins - we carved ours today, too - photos on my family blog, if you are interested...

Anonymous said...

The bag is very cool! I like the fabric. And the zipper, of course.

Luísa Silva said...

Love the bear paws quilt. Your brother will be very happy with this Cristmas gift.

Jessica said...

love your christmas presents, and your friend's log cabin is so sweet!

Tonya Ricucci said...

oooh, jack'o'lanterns - thank you for the pic. your friends quilt came out wonderfully - I hope she enjoyed it and will make another. bear paws looking great.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a lovely zippered bag! And the quilt for your brother is lovely.

Andrea said...

Your friends quilt is amazing for her first attempt ! Tell her well done from me. Your little bag is sweet and I LOVE the bears paws. It will be worth the wait - but maybe not 20 years lol !

Deborah Levy said...

The pumpkins are amazing! And your friend's first quilt?? If my first one had looked s good!

I'm sure your borother will be thrilled with his gift too.

You've been very productive!

Jeanne said...

Love your bear paw quilt and the tote. Your friend made a wonderful first quilt, too. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda Jean said...

I love the little pouch-the stripes and dots are perfect together. and how wonderful that you helped your friend complete her first quilt. it looks great.

Ann said...

Very nice pumpkins! I also love the little bag. What fun fabrics you made it out of. As for your brothers quilts....The one you made 20 years ago is sweet. Isn't it fun to go back and look at how far we've come in our quilting thru the years! I know he'll be thrilled with the bear paws!

Libby said...

A pumpkin carving party . . . what fun!
The bear paws look great - love those plaids *s*

Unknown said...

The bag you made is so neat. Did you use a pattern? It turned out very nice.

Lizzy

Kim said...

Your pumpkins absolutely glow. Very festive looking!

Unknown said...

The fabric in the little bag is great and the zipper too, lucky you to be in the land of Marimekko. I am sure you will finish the quilt for your brother you seem to be a quick sewer.

Jenni said...

Love the pumpkins - we don't have Halloween here. I was reading an email from a friend near San Francisco yesterday where they had an earthquake. She said it would've been a sight to see Mum and the kids under the table and the carved pumpkins above them on the table!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Do you have a link for the bag pattern? I'd love to make these for Christmas.

I can figure out the cutting and size, just not the order to get it together, lol.

I love your choices of fabric!